Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My credit report contains errors. Can I file a complaint against the credit reporting agencies?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act covers complaints involving information in a credit report. First, try to resolve the dispute with the credit reporting agency that issued the credit report.

If unsuccessful, contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), which handles complaints about credit reports and credit bureaus.

Refer to 12 CFR 1022 "Fair Credit Reporting (Regulation V)" for more information.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us