Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

My credit report contains inaccurate information and accounts that I never applied for. How can I have my credit report corrected?

You have the right to examine your credit file and to dispute inaccurate information.

If you find inaccuracies on your credit report, you can dispute the inaccurate information with the credit reporting agency. Also, in most cases you can file a direct dispute with the lender (also known as the "furnisher") that provided the inaccurate information to the consumer reporting agency.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us