Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I disputed adverse credit information appearing on my credit report with the furnisher (that is, the lender who supplied the information). The furnisher determined that the information is accurate. How can I add a consumer statement to my profile?

You will need to contact the credit reporting agency and notify them of the dispute.

If the reinvestigation does not resolve the issue, you may file a brief statement summarizing the dispute, with the credit reporting agency. The statement should be one hundred words or less. The information will be provided whenever your credit report is requested.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us