Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

After I left the bank, I discovered that I had received a counterfeit bill from the bank. When I tried to return it, the bank would not reimburse me. What can I do?

Unfortunately, this circumstance would be a factual dispute. You can claim the bank gave you the counterfeit bill; the bank can claim that you, after leaving the premises, obtained the counterfeit bill elsewhere.

The United States Secret Service has jurisdiction for investigations involving the counterfeiting of U.S. obligations and securities. For more information, visit the Secret Service Counterfeit Division page.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us